Sheet to Tiller Self Steering

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

skiziks33

Sheet to Tiller Self Steering

Inlägg av skiziks33 »

Success with a sheet to tiller self steering arrangement on your IF or M26? Can anyone describe and show images of the set up that works best for them?
Justin
M26 SV Necessity
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Re: Sheet to Tiller Self Steering

Inlägg av maja »

Write your entry and send (skicka) your message to the forum.

Click on "ändra) which means "change".

Click on "ladda upp bilaga, which means "upload an enclosure".
Remember to choose a size not too big to show the full picture (as i did... :| )
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Användarvisningsbild
johan swe-1870
Global moderator
Segelnummer: 1870
Båtnamn: InFinit

Inlägg av johan swe-1870 »

Sometimes I use this variant:

Bild

I use another way of showing images than Maja explains. I first put the image on a image hosting service, e.g. Photobucket. The images shall not be greater that 800x600 pixels to show correctly inside the forum! Then I put the html-reference for the hosted image file inside the img-tags by using either the Img-button or copying the forum code with the Photobucket feature.

The code that shows the above picture is:

Kod: Markera allt

[img]http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/johwin45/1870/Jolago2011/IMG_1935.jpg[/img]
Johan Winberg, SWE 1870 InFinit
Användarvisningsbild
johan swe-1870
Global moderator
Segelnummer: 1870
Båtnamn: InFinit

Inlägg av johan swe-1870 »

I have been sent this picture from IF1426. It shows a tiller locking arrangement that may be an alternative to the sheet to tiller system:

Bild
Johan Winberg, SWE 1870 InFinit
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

When the apparent wind is coming from forward directions, it is always possible to sheet the main hard enough to get a rather great weather helm. Then the rudder may be fixed in an suitable (quite great) angle to have the boat to go in the direction wanted. But this method also induces a lot of drag, so the boat will be rather slow.

I use a more simple method. I first adjust the foresail to the course desired and then balance with the main so the boat remains on course. This method is not so effective as Johan's arrangement, as the main is to be sheeted looser.
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
IF1426

Inlägg av IF1426 »

Of course Selfsteering different methods have different characteristics.
The method Johan shows this is probably more efficient, but will probably take some time to arrange.
At times when I sail alone is my arrangement easy to put in place, in a correct place, which takes about a minute, and then adjust the sails and rudder. I think it works great when you want to stay on course during the time you take up sailing clothing or a cup of coffee.
At the windward, close to the wind, and steady winds with good tuning, hold the course over a longer distance and I see no significant deceleration.
There are other system type rudder lock (Hjert's art.nr 3948) or autopilot.

IF1426 / l-Å Andersson
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

As I understand, your arrangement mounted on the cockpit edge may simply be replaced by a piece of rope to windward, tying the tiller to some deck fitting which hopefully is already there.

I used this method some 25 years ago when I crossed the "Hanö Bay" by my own. I did not bother about the tiller and let it be free swinging, giving zero course steering moment. It was enough to adjust the sails to wind and waves.
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Skriv svar