Rudder and rigging

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

david.lines

Rudder and rigging

Inlägg av david.lines »

I'm putting my boat together for the 1st time. The rudder comes with 3 small blocks - how are these fixed to the rudder?

I'd also like confirmation that I'm rigging the boat correctly:-

I have 5 jammers on the coachroof. I think these are for the genoa, main and spinaker halyards, topping lift and kicking strap (vang)

The two lines that control the spinaker boom I think are both operated from the foot of the mast and tied off there.

The 2 reefing lines for the main are operated from the boom at the goose neck end?

Any help appreciated
David Lines
Användarvisningsbild
johan swe-1870
Global moderator
Segelnummer: 1870
Båtnamn: InFinit

Inlägg av johan swe-1870 »

The rudder blocks are glued or screwed to the rudder. If there are no holes, they have just been glued with some marine sealer.

Regarding the halyards and trim lines, it is at matter of taste.

The genoa halyard must be tightened with a winch. If you have one on the roof, the genoa halyard can be fixed there, otherwise it is more likely that the genoa is still raised with the orginial winch on the mast.

I would put the topping lift on the mast, as it is probably not used that much. I don't even have one myself.

The main halyard can sit on the mast. If you have a main sail with just the rope leech (no travellers) you have to stand at the mast and help the sail into the mast anyway. You don't need any winch for the main sail. The sail is raised to the top mark, and then straightened with the boom downhaul (on the underside of the boom) or the cunningham line if you have one (optional, not necessary).

I have only one jammer on the roof. It is for the genoa halyard. For the other lines I use cleats.
Johan Winberg, SWE 1870 InFinit
david.lines

Inlägg av david.lines »

Thanks very much for your reply - that is very helpful
David Lines
Skriv svar