Finding new Pintles

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

skiziks33

Finding new Pintles

Inlägg av skiziks33 »

As some of you may recall, I am having a new rudder made of solid glass over an aluminum alloy frame. The mold has been made using the original rudder with pintle cut outs.
Where can I find new bronze pintles with the 3 O-rings that will fit exactly into the original gudgeons on the boat? Are the original pintles still made or available anywhere? I also require new bolts to install the pintles and SS tiller cheeks.

I live in Canada, and would need them shipped accordingly. I plan to launch in April, so my timeline is short to source these.

Any help would be wonderful! I've attached an image of the original rudder (ugly corrosion) with the pintle I am looking to find new.

Justin
Photo-0015.jpg
Photo-0015.jpg (29.34 KiB) Visad 9783 gånger
Justin
M26 SV Necessity
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Re: Finding new Pintles

Inlägg av maja »

Try Marieholm Strömstad Marina, attention Göran Helmer. They have complete rudder fittings for sale according to their price list. Website: http://www.marieholmboat.se/

There is also a Danish guy named Ole Frederiksen, e-mail: ole.frederiksen@post.tele.dk ,who retrofits old rudder fittings by repacing the pintles by new ones. See our magazine Medvind Nr 2 2010 page 23. Ref: http://www.ifboat.com/index.php?q=tidningen-medvind
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
skiziks33

Inlägg av skiziks33 »

Hi
I placed the order for new pintles and pinnbolts with Goran and he has been most helpfull. However, the cost of the new pintles (and shipping to Canada) to replace the old is very high. I don't really want to pay 750 Canadian dollars for this hardware. I will if I must, but.... the reason I considered replacing these pintles (the original gugeons remain of course) was because of a bent top pintle. The pintle closest to the tiller was bent and after removing it from the rudder and applying substantial pressure with my hand, I was able to bend it further. The question I have is.... Can bronze bend and retain it's tensile strength, or as soon as it is bent does it lose valuable initial tensile strength? I don't know much about metals. Does anyone on the forum know whether this bending reduces the strength of the pintle? Otherwise I will bend it back into proper form and use all of the original pintles on my new rudder. thanks again for your opinions.

PS i intend on crossing oceans with the boat so I want to be on the side of caution
Justin
M26 SV Necessity
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

Probably the pintle will brake in two peices if you try to straighten it.

However, the pintles may be removed from the fittings and repalced by new ones. But you have to get a suitable bronze rod, and a local mechanical worshop for doing the job.

See the enclosed drawing. I think you will understand without any need to read the Danish...
Bilagor
Rodertapp_midi.JPG
Rodertapp_midi.JPG (67.97 KiB) Visad 9631 gånger
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
skiziks33

Inlägg av skiziks33 »

Well I thought I would post the end result after months of delay and shipping errors.
I ordered the pintles and 10 new pin bolts from Goran at the Marina in Sweden. He was very helpful, and thank Maja for the contact.
Here is a pic of the new rudder completed.
rudder.jpg
rudder.jpg (146.71 KiB) Visad 9416 gånger
Thanks for all your help and advice folks, in repairing the old and designing the new. The old was filled and faired to it's pre-break form. Then it was used to make a fiberglass mold. The new rudder was laid up using this mold and a sheet of 1/4 inch aluminum alloy was cut to for the inner blade. FInally the rudder was faired, barrier coated and painted using interlux/international Micron CSC and brightside paint. Turns out to be a bit lighter than the original, and should be stronger.
Justin
M26 SV Necessity
Skriv svar