IF Boat engine location plans

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

kjacobsen

IF Boat engine location plans

Inlägg av kjacobsen »

I am considering installing a diesel inboard in my boat. The boat is an outboard model with no inboard engine beds. Are there any plans or blueprints available that show the general location of engine bed, stern tube, rudder cutout ect. for a diesel installation?.

Tak.

K. Jacobsen
Charleston South Carolina, USA
IF 2595
OGB

Re: IF Boat engine location plans

Inlägg av OGB »

I imagine you have decided where you will locate your engine but you may be interested in the installation of the neat little Dolphin Series 2 two stroke engine the video gives a good idea of the location see http://www.beautifulcottages.com/i/Engine.mp4. You can see the tops of the engine mounts, we fitted a little 12v motor cycle battery in the starboard locker with the ignition and battery switches and the stern tube lubrication cylinder. See other posts about effect on boats trim.
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

As far as I am informed, it is not possible to buy a new 2-stroke petrol engine of the "old normal" design (carbourator and no pistons) any more in Scandinavia due to emmission rules. Maybe this Dolphin Series 2 two stroke engine is of a more modern design with no such emmission problems.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Användarvisningsbild
kubal

Inlägg av kubal »

I am having the same problem. Although the outboard engine is quite good at lakes, it has shown to be a total nonsense at raw open sea. What about using some Z-drive with engine either under the cockpit or at the place where the outboard engine is originally located? Does anybody have some idea or experience? Otherwise I can offer exchange of IF-boat after reconstruction with new outboard engine and trailer for Marieholms 26 or something similar :-).
OGB

Inlägg av OGB »

maja skrev:As far as I am informed, it is not possible to buy a new 2-stroke petrol engine of the "old normal" design (carbourator and no pistons) any more in Scandinavia due to emmission rules. Maybe this Dolphin Series 2 two stroke engine is of a more modern design with no such emmission problems.
Maja, see my recent post 5/8/2013 re use of synthetic oils versus severe exhaust emmissions from old diesels. The actual products are from Rock Oil the semi synthetic MP3 sport or to comply with even higher environmental standards the Bio marine 3 fully synthetic
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

Still 2-stroke petrol engines of old design is not allowed to market as new in Scandinavia. Even if acylate petrol is better enviromentally, it is still a hydrocabon compound. Those engines emit about 50 % of the fuel unbured.

So today you have to choose a 4-stroke engine if you want a new one. There are 2 disadvantages with those 4-stroke outboard engines. The first is that they are considerably heavier compared to the 2-stroke which limits the practically possible maximum power for an outboard, as there will be a wieght limit for practical handling ofthe engine. The other is that they, when stored lying, have to be put on one of the two possible sides. If you by mistake leaves the engine lying on the wrong side, the motor oil will pour out into the cylinder.
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
IndrekGregor

Inlägg av IndrekGregor »

Hi

I have the same idea to install an inboard diesel, Sole mini-17, to my IF boat. Is there any plans or blueprints for the engine mount, propeller shaft etc for the job?

Regards
Indrek
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

The Association has no access to or knowledge of such plans.
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Skriv svar