IF boot motor in Winter

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

Captain_frog

IF boot motor in Winter

Inlägg av Captain_frog »

Hello Svensk båtägare!
I'm the owner of an IF boot with an outboard motor in well (Mercury 9 HP). I leave in Berlin and I would like to leave my boat in water during the wintertime. I already ask many people and they all agree that the boot hull should not be a problem when the lac freezes, but nobody could tell what happens with the motor.

Most IF boot owner in Berlin have outboard motor hanging outside, so they just take the motor home or purge any water left inside.
On my boot I cannot remove the motor (or at least not easily), so if there is any risk of damage to the motor in subzero temperatures, I guess I will have to take the whole boot out of the water.

What is the meaning of Swedish IF boot owners (they surely must be used to freezing temperatures)?
Any information on how to "winterize" an IF Boot?

Thank you in advance
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Re: IF boot motor in Winter

Inlägg av maja »

You should reconsider to leave the motor on the boat. The motor needs annual service, which cannot be performed if you leave boat and motor inhe water.

Anyhow you have to assure that there i no water left in the cooling system.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Användarvisningsbild
johan swe-1870
Global moderator
Segelnummer: 1870
Båtnamn: InFinit

Inlägg av johan swe-1870 »

I think I recall there is something written in the motor manual regarding winter use. I think it says tilt the motor up and let all water out.
Johan Winberg, SWE 1870 InFinit
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

To assure that the motor is empty from water, in my opinion, it should be hanging vertically and you should, to be sure, pull the starter several times with no ignition and petrol.

And prior to this, run the carburator and fuel pump out of petrol, because any remaining old petrol may make starting problems next spring. Also use up the remaining petrol in the tank in your car.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Användarvisningsbild
johan swe-1870
Global moderator
Segelnummer: 1870
Båtnamn: InFinit

Inlägg av johan swe-1870 »

As you have the motor in the motor well, you cannot easily lift the motor out of the water to let all water drain out. I think you'll risk water freezing inside the motor.

The best solution is probably to remove the motor from the well. Then, at least, carefully drain all water from the motor. Or better yet, store it at home.
Johan Winberg, SWE 1870 InFinit
Captain_frog

Inlägg av Captain_frog »

Thank you all for the tips

I think I will have to thake the boot out of the water this winter. All other solutions are more complicated and would mean a lot of work before and after sailing.

Anyway thank a lot for those useful answer.

Captain Frog
Användarvisningsbild
kubal

Inlägg av kubal »

One more comment to this. If your engine needs to be replaced by a new one in the future, you should consider using a smaller one which is easier to handle. I have tried 5 HP, 8 HP and 4 HP engines at my IF. I was usually running 5 HP engine at 3/4 of throttle, 8 HP at 1/2 and 4 HP at full throttle to obtain speed of 5 knots at calm water. I am only giving you some numbers to think about. The optimal engine power depends on how much extra power you want to have for motoring against wind.
Användarvisningsbild
IF 2719
Segelnummer: 2719
Båtnamn: Filijokus
Kontakt:

Inlägg av IF 2719 »

Don't leave boat in water. It needs to dry out during winter. Check hull and rudder. Remove mast for inspection and motor for service. Yours sincerely Martin

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Filijokus SWE 2719 Martin Rundström
Planerade regattor 2024: Jungfrusundsregattan.
Skriv svar