diameter and lenght of halyards, sheets

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

martins.kitovs

diameter and lenght of halyards, sheets

Inlägg av martins.kitovs »

Hello if-boaters :)
I am from Latviaa nd sorry for my english. At a moment of self-delusion and maybe a little bit of alcohol, I bought an old IF boat in Gōteborg.
But of course, I fall in love with folkboat from time, when I participate in Muhu Vaina Regatta in Tallinn and saw, how elegant sails IF boats. :) - we on quartertoner all the time pedal to the metal, folks on IF boat, just a little bit slower, but in chilling way, with hot coffee in hand...you understand me :)

Therefore I have few questions:
What is diameter and overall lenght of halyards and sheets - that is what I can change when launching. I dont know in what condition all sheets are.

I have two options to sail home - thru Trollhattan and Gota canal, or around Swden. Again - i dont know a condition and can she endure some strong winds.
Insurance for Gota is mandatory? What is cost for liability insurance for IF boat?

Thank you for any answer.
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Re: diameter and lenght of halyards, sheets

Inlägg av maja »

I have used 8 mm diameter halyards and sheets all araound, but other sailors may prefer 10 mm sheets. Anyhow, 8 mm sheets are xx, lighter and give less friction and storage volume. They are thick enough to hold and pull (with gloves if neccesery).

The lengths of halyards are dependent on how you intend to arrange the sail hoisting. IF you hoist from the cockpit, the mainsail halyard should be in the range of 22 m. The forsail halyard may be about 3 m shorter, as the luff is about 1.5 m shorter. The spinnaker halyard should also be in the range of 20-22 m.

Halyards for the mainsail and foresail should be from Dyneema or combinded wire and rope.

Mainsail and forsail sheets are 14 m (one single forsail sheet 7+7 m tied to the sheet eye in the middle). Spinnaker sheets are about 19 m each.

When passing Göta Kanal, the liability enssurance is mandatory. I beleive the best is to arrange the insurance in Latvia. At the time for your trip, if you choose the canal, it wil be "fore season conditions and prices (xx)" and you have to book your passage a couple of days before.

The IF-boats carry its sail in any weather. So you do not need to bother so much about strong winds. IF-boats have passed Biscaya, The North Sea and also the Atlantic and Pacific oceans...
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
martins.kitovs

Thank You Maja
Thats a information i needed.
Yes, I know, that IF boat is strong enaf for Ocean, I have read all articles about that, what I can find. I mean, is my boat strong enaf :) But on this question I may answer only when I see her
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

If you go through Trollhätte Kanal-Göta Kanal, most of the journey will be by motoring. So you must have a reliable and fuel-effective motor. The older 2-strokes take a lot of fuel, maybe 3-4 l/hour for a 6 hp and almost 2 l/hour for a 4 hp motor. A modern 4-stroke 4 hp takes only about 1 l/hour.

So if you go with an old 2-stroke motor, your greatest concern during the trip will be hunting for fuel...

Also you have to be used to locking. There are a great number of locks to pe passed. My opinion is that this will be very difficult if you are alone onboard...
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
martins.kitovs

Hunting for fuel :D
We will be two people on board, but i think, that better way will be around Sweden. And, how I see in http://gasthamnsguiden.se/ charges for harbors not so high. How it is in reality, i dont know
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

The prices in Gästhamnsguiden should be fairly correct..

What route are you planning? As I understand, there is a considerable distance between the Swedish coastline and the Latvian coast. If you are lucky there will be winds beween from N over W to S directions. But sometimes in the spring period, you may face wind from E direction during long periods...
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
martins.kitovs

Yes, distance will be about 600 NM
We plan it takes about 10 days
But if we can have a rest in harbours, then I think this will be a nice voyage
Skriv svar