Deck layout

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

Användarvisningsbild
Rockdamned
Segelnummer: 3406
Båtnamn: Abigail

Deck layout

Inlägg av Rockdamned »

Hi all!

As I introduced myself a couple of months ago, I am a happy (happiest on earth) new proud owner of an IF!
I am now going through the thousands of ideas that come after starting sailing with a new boat to make it better (if possible) and after the cruise of this summer, I've realised I would like to improve the deck layout, in terms of manoeuvres (and please forgive me but I don't know all the right terms in English...)

So I would like to ask the wisdom of the forum and your opinion and experience on this matter. At the moment, the mainsail has only one reef, however, the boom has two pulleys, so I am doing all the considerations that will follow having in mind that sooner or later I will add the second reef

So, here is the dilemma: I currently have 8 stoppers in the cockpit with (in various order)
  • Vang
  • Outhaul
  • Main halyard
  • Genoa halyard
  • Spinnaker halyard
  • Cunnigham
  • Head earing
  • Spinnaker boom's lift
What is missing is
  • the reefing line(s) for which as mentioned the boom is already setup (see photo #1 of the boom below, I don't have the detail of the pulleys but you can notice the two black elements, symmetrical, for which also your knowledge would be awesome - how do you usually set it up?)
  • Spinnaker Downhaul
Photo 1 - detail of the boom
Photo 1 - detail of the boom
5699fe51589b47177731eca5ecccacc0.jpg (60.89 KiB) Visad 8085 gånger
Now, here is the conundrum, how to set it up? I know many of you have some lines over the hatch, but I am not the greatest fan of that solution as of now, and I would like to find an alternative one :)

In photo #2, you can see how the cockpit looks like (apologies, I didn't take better ones as of now - but well, you know the boat :P )
Photo 2 - detail of the hatch
Photo 2 - detail of the hatch
bf8ab13baeebadfa94a073ec9dfe2bf2.jpg (57.73 KiB) Visad 8085 gånger
In photo #3, you can see that the mast has an old base for a winch (by the way, does anyone know these winches? Because in case I would put one identical to those on board) and in fact, at the base, there are two pulleys, mirrored, one of which is in an ideal position to work with the former winch - the other not really. What do you think they were thought of? I am considering putting the jib's halyard there, as it is the only one I see benefitting from standing at the mast when alone, whereas the mainsail works perfectly from the cockpit. However, this would require fitting back a which (as said, do you know them) and I bet it's not exactly inexpensive, sadly
Photo 3 - detail of the base of the mast (1)
Photo 3 - detail of the base of the mast (1)
8c43a52235e7a1d01a1bb548b668b98d.jpg (88.13 KiB) Visad 8085 gånger
In photo #4, you can see a block not identified and used provisionally as a spinnaker downhaul (then stopped on the cleat of the mast) and of which I do not understand the purpose (help!). I would put the downhaul at the foot of the mast (coming from the bow as discussed in another 3d). Another thing you can see is the pulley at 90 degrees to the keel, the one not going straight to the winch
Photo 4 - detail of the base of the mast (2)
Photo 4 - detail of the base of the mast (2)
b0283c4d55ddbd87b25c1067d57301cb.jpg (82.08 KiB) Visad 8085 gånger
Lastly, in photo #5 (can't load it, see the next post I am adding), you have a wider view. Here you can see also the pulleys on the deck that are sending to the cockpit the manoeuvres. Do they exist with, say, 5 pulleys rather than 4, but with the same dimension so I don't have to drill new holes? Can't find it online but it can possibly be me using the wrong terms

So here are the questions :D
  • how would you set up the layout? would you buy a winch and move the genoa halyard to the mast, put a cleat on the blocks of the vang so that I can use it as on a dinghy (although it would be challenging with the sprayhood open - and therefore I am not overly excited), same for the cunningham, and then use the blocks left without drilling? (ideal, final solution, no new holes!)
  • I am not considering moving the outhaul of the main as it has no blocks so the forces are quite strong and it works best with the winch, do you agree?
  • (repeating this so it's not lost in my too-long post) do you know those winches? would one fit on the mast?
  • (repeating this so it's not lost in my too-long post) what are the pulleys at the base of the mast for, in your opinion?
  • (repeating this so it's not lost in my too-long post) what is the block at the base of the mast for, in your opinion?
  • generally speaking, how do you set up yours?
Thank you so much for bearing with me until now, looking forward to hearing from you, and to share a beer (on me) if we meet in the sea!

Best,
Edoardo
Senast redigerad av 1 Rockdamned, redigerad totalt 2 gånger.
Användarvisningsbild
Rockdamned

Re: Deck layout

Inlägg av Rockdamned »

Here is the fifth photo :D
Bilagor
Photo 5 - overview of the mast
Photo 5 - overview of the mast
95bf548f7984f9b73a3e557e6458b6d7.jpg (95.9 KiB) Visad 8084 gånger
Användarvisningsbild
Rockdamned

Inlägg av Rockdamned »

Found some other pictures that may help
Bilagor
20210609_211341 1.jpg
20210609_211341 1.jpg (212.36 KiB) Visad 8077 gånger
20210609_211203 1.jpg
20210609_211203 1.jpg (196.37 KiB) Visad 8077 gånger
Användarvisningsbild
johan swe-1870
Global moderator
Segelnummer: 1870
Båtnamn: InFinit

Inlägg av johan swe-1870 »

You can use barber haulers for the spinnaker. Then you can remove the spinnaker pole downhaul completely.
Johan Winberg, SWE 1870 InFinit
Användarvisningsbild
Rockdamned

Inlägg av Rockdamned »

I see that some have it and some don't, and I've heard contrasting opinions about the use of the downhaul.
Generally, tho, it is deemed as a valuable manoeuvre, especially when closing the angle with the wind, when the barbers become less effective. I agree that is not prio1, in fact, I will install the barbers as soon as possible but I still agree that it has value

Perhaps the solution could be:
1) move the jib halyard to the mast (if I'm alone, it's ok being at the mast to control the sail with a hand while lowering with the other, if not, still)
2) use the freed stopper for the reefing line
3) when possible, add a new stopper per side and use them one for the reefing line, and one for the downhaul (coming therefore as a second-priority work, after using for a while the barbers)

would that make sense?
Andreas89

Inlägg av Andreas89 »

I think you'd be fine if you moved the jib halyard to a sideways facing sheave at the foot of the mast and simply hoisted it by hand and cleated it off at the waist high cleat on the mast. Preferably to a previously marked position on the halyard so that you can hoist quickly before the sail fills, without the need to look at the sail.

Once you do away with the friction inducing deck organiser and safety turns around a winch there is very little tension in the halyard of a (luffing) headsail on the IF, as long as the mast sheaves run freely and the halyard is of sensible condition and dimension.

It could be worth trying as it eliminates the need for you to do any hardware changes while you're trying how you like to operate the halyard from the mast rather than from the cockpit.
Användarvisningsbild
Rockdamned

Inlägg av Rockdamned »

Thank you! I have a jib roller atm but considering going back to traditional one, so that I can have a genoa and a jib without having half-rolled sails (I don't race but still like performance :P)

Indeed it would help and save some bucks, and holes on the mast (stopper, winch, etc...)

Do you by chance know what these holes might have been for, on this plate attached to the mast (see photo below)? I wonder tbh because it doesn't look like a winch position, yet it is where I'd put a winch and a stopper since it is right above the pulley at the base of the mast...

Bilagor
8c43a52235e7a1d01a1bb548b668b98d.jpg
8c43a52235e7a1d01a1bb548b668b98d.jpg (88.13 KiB) Visad 7816 gånger
Andreas89

Inlägg av Andreas89 »

Ah, I missed the furled headsail in your picture at first :P

My boat came with a furling system that I have replaced with a standard wire forestay for similar reasons. I'm happy with that decision.

The screw pattern is from an isolating plate that often sits underneath mast mounted winches to avoid corrosion between steel and aluminium.
Användarvisningsbild
Rockdamned

Inlägg av Rockdamned »

Andreas89 skrev: 06 sep 2021 21:59 Ah, I missed the furled headsail in your picture at first :P

My boat came with a furling system that I have replaced with a standard wire forestay for similar reasons. I'm happy with that decision.

The screw pattern is from an isolating plate that often sits underneath mast mounted winches to avoid corrosion between steel and aluminium.
Can’t blame you, it is quite a loooooong post 😂😂😂 good, cuz I was considering an Andersen there, although extremely expensive it will fit the others I have

So well it shapes up nicely, although I liked having everything in the cockpit, if I don’t want to have the vang in the middle I guess this is the only choice ☺️

Thank you!
Skriv svar