Speed and deep transducer problem on Marieholm26

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

Regatta
Kontakt:

Speed and deep transducer problem on Marieholm26

Inlägg av Regatta »

Hello to everyone.
I'm still rebuilt my M26 and i'm plan to fix the speed and depth transducer. The first problem is the speed transducer.

1)I bought my M26 with 2 speed transducer mounted, one for each side but not working.. due the fact that there is'nt any instrument link to those sensor.. There was only the cable attached on its. The previous owner told me that was a "pendulum system?!" that put on the transducer depending wich tack you are.
I can't find any brand on those trasducer to permit me to fix or buy the analog or digital instrument linked with sensors for read the correct speed.
Any suggestion , any help? Any other solutions? Is or enought or better to have only the speed from gps?

2)Concernig the deep sensor, I think the best solution is to use a in-hull sensor like arimar P79. what you think about it? Anybody has experience on it?
I will accept any advise.

I know that this is the best forum to ask this information Sweden Is where M26 born!
Many thanks to everyone could help me.
Cheers
gabriel
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Re: Speed and deep transducer problem on Marieholm26

Inlägg av maja »

A little depending of what you will measure, perhaps you will find your speed transducer, measuring water related speed, being superfluous and will perhaps be satisfied to use your GPS navigator for detecting real speed over ground.

In Sweden and Scandinavia I think Silva Nexus is the most popular manufacture of boat sensors and corresponding electronics.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Regatta
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Regatta »

thanks a lot Mr. Maja for reply my post.
so for your the Best is sealed the 2 holes and get sog directly from gps.. ? less holes in my boat!
Användarvisningsbild
johan swe-1870
Global moderator
Segelnummer: 1870
Båtnamn: InFinit

Inlägg av johan swe-1870 »

Some 20 years ago when I bought my IF I first planned to add a speed log, but then I changed my mind because the mechanical units were out of production and I didn't want an electronic device (!). In several years I sailed without knowing speed or distance. I managed with optical bearings and by estimating the speed manually.

Then I bought a GPS when they had become more economical and with more features than the initial ones. The GPS gives me true position, over ground course, speed and distance.

I have never regretted I didn't put that speed log on.
Johan Winberg, SWE 1870 InFinit
Användarvisningsbild
kubal

Inlägg av kubal »

I am using in-hull depth transducer at my IF. It works very well. It takes some time to install it, but the advantage of having no additional hole in the hull is significant, I think. You have to find a suitable location for it where the fiberglas is transparent enough for the sound. Do it by putting the transducer into a plastic bag with water, placing it at different places in the hull and reading the strength of the reflected signal (if your instruments enables it). I am having a good experience with the fisherman depth sounders with the time-rolling graphical display. The disadvantage is the mechanical design of the display unit. I am using Garmin Fishfinder 90/140 with a special transducer which can be mounted inside the hull. The transducer is supplied like a special accessory, you have to contact the Garmin authorized dealer. The standard transducer delivered with it is useless.

Do not throw away the old speed transducers yet, please. I am thinking about developing a special display unit for some old transducer which was in my boat like in your one. The reason is that I want to have analog display. Maybe your transducers will work with it too :-).
Skriv svar