Boom topping lift at IF

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

Användarvisningsbild
kubal

Boom topping lift at IF

Inlägg av kubal »

Does anybody tried to install a topping lift from the end of the boom to the top of the mast? I plan to do it since the unsupported boom has shown to be a big problem during reefing of the main sail in strong wind. The boom falling down into the cockpit can injure somebody, damage something or catch somewhere. Falling of the boom also causes strong tension into the main sail when the outhaul is not released. Can somebody give me a hint how to install the block for topping lift at the top of the mast? Does anybody have some ideas or recommendations? Thank you.

David
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Re: Boom topping lift at IF

Inlägg av maja »

I had such an arrangement installed some 20 years ago, but I was not very happy.

The reason was that the need of reefing an IF in open sea is very rear. Also a couple of thiess the topping lift interfeared with the amin halyard and caused problems hoisting and lowering the main. Finally my opinion is that lowering the main down into the cockpit is better than having it hanging high, as the wind will not blow into the sail and flatter it around.

I have a reef mounted in my cruising main, but reefing is always made in advance in port, when I find it needed. Then the weather forcast is to be more than 14 m/s in average.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Användarvisningsbild
kubal

Inlägg av kubal »

Dear Marek,

thank you for your opinion, but I still plan to do it. The lack of the topping lift has shown to be a problem even at lake (in mountains :-)). Suppose, it might be even worse at open sea when sailing alone. So, if somebody else use it, let me know, please. Thank you anyway Marek.

David
Användarvisningsbild
Schulanta

Inlägg av Schulanta »

I refuse to sail without my topping lift. I use a 4 mm line running from the end of the boom to a small block on the port side of the mast a decimetre or two below the top. The line continues down the outside of the mast. This was the easiest way to retrofit a topping lift on my mast, as the fitting for the block was already available. I have no idea if it was meant for a topping lift, but it works very well for me. The line usually doesn't interfere with the mainsail or halyard. The downside is that the line and fittings are too weak (and in the wrong place) to use as a backup halyard.
Användarvisningsbild
johan swe-1870
Global moderator
Segelnummer: 1870
Båtnamn: InFinit

Inlägg av johan swe-1870 »

I have seen several Proctor masts. All of them has an eye at the mast top on port side. There is also a small alu cleat riveted on the aft side of the mast on port side about half a meter over the main boom.

I think those are for putting on a topping lift, if you want one.
Johan Winberg, SWE 1870 InFinit
Användarvisningsbild
kubal

Inlägg av kubal »

There is no eye at the mast top on port site at my mast. But somebody obviously did some modifications there in the past, so maybe he removed it. I will look carefully for some holes. Does anybody have a photo? Does not the topping lift interfere with the main sail when the sail is at port site in this case? The cleat you mention is there.
Användarvisningsbild
Schulanta

Inlägg av Schulanta »

Sometimes when I hoist the mainsail it gets trapped on the wrong side of the topping lift. This usually only happens if the boat falls off too far before the sail is fully hoisted. The workaround is to push the boom, release half a metre of the halyard and try again, or to release the topping lift. Again, this is rare and usually easy to fix.

Under sail I keep the topping lift slack. No interference there.
skiziks33

Inlägg av skiziks33 »

here's an example
IMG_0528.jpg
IMG_0528.jpg (25.84 KiB) Visad 17936 gånger
Justin
M26 SV Necessity
skiziks33

Inlägg av skiziks33 »

topping lift.jpg
topping lift.jpg (19.42 KiB) Visad 17684 gånger
the wire with the block is attached at the top of the mast just 10 cm below the masthead using a 2 screw clip blacket. admittedly, the screws made removing the masthead for antenna wiring more difficult. on end of the lifting line is tired to a clip on the side of the boom using a stopper knot, the other end runs through the an eye and jammer. make sure there is a stopper knot at this end as well.
Justin
M26 SV Necessity
Användarvisningsbild
kubal

Inlägg av kubal »

This is interesting solution. Thanks for the photos.

I have just made the simplest topping lift: riveted an eye some 3 cm below the top of the mast at left side (close to the attachment of the back stay) with small roller. The line is fixed at the cleat at the left side of the mast, some 1 m above the deck. The cleat seams to be original. After adjusting the right length, the topping lift does not need to be adjusted more. The disadvantage of this solution is, that the line is scratched by the metal plate at the head of the main sail when the main sail is lifted with the wind from starboard. Than the topping lift line remains at the right side of the mainsail. So it will probably not survive more than one season.
IF1426

Inlägg av IF1426 »

"I have just made the simplest topping lift----"
You describe the topping lift is adjusted to the correct length. This means that when the boom is adjusted to a horizontal position when the sail is not hoisted. When you set sail and forwarders for close-reach sailing, the topping lift so taut that something will break. Since I have a similar arrangement, slack I always topping lift when sailing.

IF1426 / L-Å Andersson
Användarvisningsbild
kubal

Inlägg av kubal »

Yes, you are right. But it is possible to adjust such a length of the topping lift, that it is free when sailing in all conditions. When the main sail is down, the boom is slightly lower than horizontal, so you have to be careful about your head :-). But it is acceptable as a basic setting which does not need any operation of the topping lift. During the next weeks I will be trying to modify the shape of the mainsail by the topping lift.
Skriv svar