Looking for spare part for MARINER 8 outboard engine

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

Användarvisningsbild
kubal

Looking for spare part for MARINER 8 outboard engine

Inlägg av kubal »

I am looking for the cast which forms the gear box and water pump in the Mariner 8 outboard engine by which my IF-boat is equipped. Does anybody have a broken engine were the underwater part is all-right? The rest of my engine is all-right, but the underwater part is heavily damaged by corrosion. Could we make a working engine from two broken ones :-)?

David
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Re: Looking for spare part for MARINER 8 outboard engine

Inlägg av maja »

Corrosion of the under water parts is the most common reason for scrapping the outboard used on a sailboat. This because running hours will be very few. My old 2-stroke Johnson 6 hp "died" in the same way after 29 years of service.

Modern outboard motors are mostly equipped with protecting zinc anods inside the cooling system and outside the rig. Those engines will not suffer from corrosion in the same extension as the former ones.

If you are lucky you may find the needed spare parts, but do not have too great expectations...But still I recommend you to replace the motor. If you are lucky, maybe you will find one almost new used just a few years for a good price... 8) .
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Skriv svar