Does Honda BF 5 A4 LBU fit into IF-boat?

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

Användarvisningsbild
kubal

Does Honda BF 5 A4 LBU fit into IF-boat?

Inlägg av kubal »

Does anybody know whether the engine Honda BF 5 A4 LBU fits into IF-boat without problems? Thank you. David
Användarvisningsbild
kubal

Re: Does Honda BF 5 A4 LBU fit into IF-boat?

Inlägg av kubal »

Yes, it does. It is necessary to put the handle down, which is not practical for operation, but it is not necessary to cut it.
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

Do you have to put the handle vertical down? Or do you have to remove the handle?

How do you intend to operate the motor?
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Användarvisningsbild
kubal

Inlägg av kubal »

The handle has to be positioned oblique down (in front direction). It is not necessary to remove it. But you have to put your hand very deep to reach it. The other possibility is to cut the handle. As I investigate it, it could be done. But in this case you have to cut the casted piece forming the handle which is not a reversible operation :-).

The other modification which has to be done is to block the mechanism which enables the whole engine to swing backwards when it is set to forward direction or neutral. This feature is probably intended to protect the propeller in shallow water. Suppose it is the same at all outboard engines. The blocking seams to be very simple. It will probably be possible to do it by a piece of rope.

Since my boat is not at water yet, I do not have practical experience using this new engine yet.
Användarvisningsbild
kubal

Inlägg av kubal »

Although this engine fits into IF-boat mechanically, I can not recommend it. The new engine I have bought did not work. During several hours of trials, it started ones, but no more. They probably do not test them in the factory! It took a lot of my time until we were able (with the help of serviceman) to start the engine. Unfortunately we were not able to find the reason why the engine did not work and behaved so strange. The serviceman told me, that Honda engines are no longer made in Japan. They are made in China like Toyota!

The other problem is that the engine cover must be removed. Otherwise the air inlet is at the bottom of the engine. It takes exhaust gas from the tunnel and stifle itself.
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

Most starting problems of 4 stroke engines are du to lack of petrol. It is almost always needed to choke the motor, even in a warm summer day. Also, when using an external tank, be sure to pump petrol by the "ball" until it is completelyy hard. If the ball will never come hard, the back valve inside it is not working .

I think all modern outboard motors take the air from bekow. For this reason I think it is needed to make a hole in the cover if the motor is used in the well as you intend to do.
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

kubal skrev: The other problem is that the engine cover must be removed. Otherwise the air inlet is at the bottom of the engine. It takes exhaust gas from the tunnel and stifle itself.
I checked my Yamaha F4. It has the air intake from above. So my suggestion above about most modern motors taking air from below is obviously not correct.

Yamaha F4 har gone out of production a couple of years ago. But there exists a good and low priced chinese copy marked Hidea.
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Skriv svar