Sökningen fann 18 träffar

av blighbaum
01 jan 2010 18:56
Kategori: Common
Tråd: Michael Richey - below the hatches
Svar: 0
Visningar: 6162

Michael Richey - below the hatches

My folkboat sailing hero, Michael Richey, died just before Christmas. He was the kind of Englishman who would say, "I've done a little sailing," when he'd only done 13 solo crossings of the Atlantic in his folkboat, the Jester, the last when he was 80. During tough times at sea, he kept hi...
av blighbaum
27 sep 2009 06:15
Tråd: Shipping an IF and height
Svar: 9
Visningar: 19239

Re: Shipping an IF and height

Congratulations on buying the boat that will be "the measure of any boat you may ever sail"! For what it's worth, I shipped my IF with a commercial shipper, and did not remove the stanchions or the rudder. The boat was loaded on a big trailer, which was rolled onto a ship in Honolulu, roll...
av blighbaum
13 jun 2009 07:02
Tråd: question re gudgeons
Svar: 0
Visningar: 5372

question re gudgeons

I have a very small leak around my lower gudgeon. The portions of the bolt and the stainless steel boss that can be seen from the inside of the boat look fine, but the wood block around them on the inside of the boat is somewhat rotted. Is failure of the gudgeon likely? Is it necessary to haul the b...
av blighbaum
04 feb 2009 17:48
Tråd: In or out?
Svar: 7
Visningar: 13620

Re: In or out?

Looking at pictures of IFs racing in Sweden and Germany, I have noticed that many of them have genoa tracks aft but inboard of the rail, with the genoa sheets inside the stays. The North Sails tuning guide shows the same. Does this improve upwind performance with the genoa? This is important to me n...
av blighbaum
27 jan 2009 04:50
Tråd: Sail Inventory?
Svar: 6
Visningar: 11308

Re: Sail Inventory?

You can look at www.sfbaysss.org, click on singlehanded transpac, and then on competitor's logs. My wife posted my reports after my satphone conversations with her, but the website has the reports of the other competitors as well, which are informative and sometimes amusing. Regards, Tom K. IF 637 F...
av blighbaum
17 jan 2009 23:01
Tråd: Sail Inventory?
Svar: 6
Visningar: 11308

Re: Sail Inventory?

Congratulations on having bought the best boat for sailing in SF Bay with relatively little experience! You'll still love the boat after you have a lot of experience! You will clearly want the 102% working jib for sailing in SF. You will also want a decent genoa. If you start racing, you will want a...
av blighbaum
31 dec 2008 04:20
Tråd: Inboard diesels
Svar: 3
Visningar: 9454

Re: Inboard diesels

Thanks, Marek! A 4 stroke outboard is not the best for me because I already have a steering windvane hanging off the stern and solar panels on the aft rail, and I am afraid of having gas (petrol) on the boat. I actually thought of getting an electric trolling motor instead of another inboard diesel,...
av blighbaum
24 dec 2008 04:25
Tråd: Inboard diesels
Svar: 3
Visningar: 9454

Inboard diesels

My BMW MD-7 inboard diesel is dead. Most people here (in California) use Yanmar or Kubota diesels, but my mechanic is from the Baltic, and he recommends a Farymann or Bukh. He says they are just as reliable as a Japanese engine, and much easier to start manually with a crank. (People who have Japane...
av blighbaum
28 sep 2008 05:10
Tråd: Rowing a IF
Svar: 2
Visningar: 7390

Re: Rowing a IF

It should be possible to row an IF with proper gear. Take a look at this website: http://www.solopublications.com/sailario.htm. It shows rowing gear on a Pearson Ariel, which is similar to an IF. Another source for rowing of a small full keel boat is the Pardey's book, "The Self Sufficient Sail...
av blighbaum
27 sep 2008 20:13
Tråd: Downwind sailing: Twin jibs with furled main
Visningar: 15554

Re: Downwind sailing: Twin jibs with furled main

G'day, Matt! I have not written a blog. The only thing online about my sail is what my wife posted on the SSS website after my satphone talks with her. There are some pictures on the web (on Norcalsailing and on the form of the SSS website) that show how Feral was fitted out. Rolling was not too bad...
av blighbaum
17 aug 2008 19:38

Matt, I now have more insight into this subject, because this summer I sailed my IF from San Francisco to Hawaii, and the trip included 10 days running with twin headsails and furled main. Before going, I found some expert sailmakers and riggers who know the IF boat, and they advised running backsta...
av blighbaum
17 aug 2008 19:38

Matt, I now have more insight into this subject, because this summer I sailed my IF from San Francisco to Hawaii, and the trip included 10 days running with twin headsails and furled main. Before going, I found some expert sailmakers and riggers who know the IF boat, and they advised running backsta...
av blighbaum
17 aug 2008 19:37

av blighbaum
14 nov 2007 07:05
Tråd: Shipping an IF and height
Svar: 9
Visningar: 19239

Shipping an IF and height

How is an IF usually shipped by rail or by sea? Does it fit in a standard shipping container? Or is it better or more usual to put the boat on a trailer and roll on/roll off? Also, what is the height of the IF from the bottom of the keel to the top of the stanchions (or the cabin top if that is high...
av blighbaum
19 sep 2007 07:34

Downwind sailing: Twin jibs with furled main

I know it's generally a bad idea in a fractional rigged sloop like an IF to sail too long with only the jib set and the main furled. I am thinking of doing some downwind sailing in the tradewinds with twin jibs on wiskerpoles. Do you think I would need to keep the main up (probably deeply reefed)? O...