Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
av bill
30 maj 2018 15:13
Kategori: Common
Tråd: Electric drive conversion
Svar: 18
Visningar: 34065

Re: Electric drive conversion

An idea has come to mind...: I wonder how many owners would be interested in a rudder electric propulsion..? I realise that this is a meaningless question as it would depend on the cost I imagine! the cost of the motor and the batteries would be quite a lot but I think the more people are interested...
av bill
30 maj 2018 15:07

maja skrev: 30 maj 2018 13:19 Yes, you are correct, tapered from about 40 mm (fwd edge) to minimum 10 mm (aft edge).
Class rules defines the shape, construction is free.
Not all rudders have metal inserts.
hi thank you for that. I didn't realise some rudders do not have the metal insert.
av bill
30 maj 2018 11:57

Johan SWE-1870 skrev:There's a drawing of the rudder in the class rule drawings.
That’s great! Thanks for the pointer!
The drawing seems to suggest the rudder is tapered from 39mm forward to 10 aft. Am I correct or is this the drawing of the metal insert of the rudder?
av bill
29 maj 2018 16:37

I think if you can make a rudder which is a good solution for you to work on. then you can find a donour to install your rudder to test, I believe rudder can be replaced while the boat is in the water. I think it is much easier than asking someone to cut his rudder :shock: that is exactly what I am...
av bill
29 maj 2018 16:25

I think if you can make a rudder which is a good solution for you to work on. then you can find a donour to install your rudder to test, I believe rudder can be replaced while the boat is in the water. I think it is much easier than asking someone to cut his rudder :shock: that is exactly what I am...
av bill
29 maj 2018 16:18

That looks like a very interesting build, I must say. Good work on an interesting project. Where is the boat located? I've also been musing about this conversion, probably following the example on folkboat.de with the rudder-mounted gland motor and folding prop. I sent a query to krautler some time...
av bill
29 maj 2018 15:54

Hi, It is good to hear that. First I have checked the minnkota and torquedoo, especially torquedoo get a lot of awards and they worked with Hanse 315 for the electric one, I found them a bit expensive and they really do not have a commercialized solution for the rudder, I think they did the rudder-...
av bill
24 maj 2018 10:49

Electric drive conversion

Hi, Congratulations, it sounds like a dream! I have been checking the pod motors to laminate on the rudder of my IF, I have seen that some of them can generate electricity while sailing (propellor turns the motor other way around to generate electricity), do you have such function? I also find out ...
av bill
03 maj 2018 08:53

Hi Johan, The batteries are 8 off valence LiFPO4 12V 130 Ah arranged in two parallel strings of 4 batteries in series. The useful energy of this arrangement is about 10KWh. The weight of the batteries is about 20Kg each. I don’t have measured consumption figures yet but here is what I achieved on Mo...
av bill
02 maj 2018 19:21

Electric drive conversion

Hi everyone, I want to let you all know that I managed to convert a diesel drive marieholm to electric drive and the results are amazing! The yacht is not mine; it belongs to a good friend. End of last year I joked about converting his yacht to electric as he drives a Tesla and is very much into ren...