Shipping an IF and height

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

blighbaum

Shipping an IF and height

Inlägg av blighbaum »

How is an IF usually shipped by rail or by sea? Does it fit in a standard shipping container? Or is it better or more usual to put the boat on a trailer and roll on/roll off?

Also, what is the height of the IF from the bottom of the keel to the top of the stanchions (or the cabin top if that is higher)?

Thanks for any help you can give me. Regards and good sailing. - Tom Kirschbaum
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

We are normally transporting our boats by lorry or by a specially designed trailer towed by a Jeep or similar suitable car. The trailer shall be able to carry at least the boat weight wich may be up to 2300 kg. The car shall be able to tow about 3 tons. Your driving license shall permit you to tow heavy load.

Please wiew the Class Rule drawings to find all dimensions: http://www.ifboat.com/teknik/IFREGRIT.HTM

The stanchions and pulpits are recommended to be removed during transport.
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
iamsville

Re: Shipping an IF and height

Inlägg av iamsville »

Am also looking to ship an IF. Have been advised to remove the rudder before shipping due to potential stress fractures of around the gudeons. Is this common?
Lost Quays
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

It could be wise to remove the rudder blade as it is a very simple action. Anyhow, this is not a common action as far as I know. And the most potential risk is that the blade itself will be damaged.
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
iamsville

Inlägg av iamsville »

thanks Maja. Surveyor recommended removing the rudder but the shipper said he has never done this. Will look at the gudgeons tomorrow and start the process of packing our Folkboat for shipment.

iamsville
blighbaum

Inlägg av blighbaum »

Congratulations on buying the boat that will be "the measure of any boat you may ever sail"! For what it's worth, I shipped my IF with a commercial shipper, and did not remove the stanchions or the rudder. The boat was loaded on a big trailer, which was rolled onto a ship in Honolulu, rolled off the ship in San Diego, and towed to Los Angeles. The boat arrived with no damage. However, the end of the trailer extended at about 5 feet beyond the end of the rudder. If the end of the trailer had been near the end of the rudder, or if the end of the rudder had overlapped the end of the trailer, I might have thought of removing it. Regards, Tom Kirschbaum, Feral, IF 637
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

iamsville skrev:thanks Maja. Surveyor recommended removing the rudder but the shipper said he has never done this. Will look at the gudgeons tomorrow and start the process of packing our Folkboat for shipment.

iamsville
For rudder removal, remove the tiller, turn the rudder 90 degrees, remove the 3 "stops"( wchich prevents the rudder pins to lift from the gudgeons), wchich are normally just fastened by screwes to the forward rudder edge, and just lift the rudder from the gudgeons. It is recommended to be 2 persons when lifting. The rudder's weight is somewhat 25 kg and there is a very great risk to damage the rudder blade if trying to lift alone.
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
iamsville

Inlägg av iamsville »

Thanks Tom, Maja! Am now the happy owner of a 1976 IF. The previous owner was kind enough to include various documents that might be of interest to the online community. Will post some of this if of interest but am not sure how to go about it on this site.

Our hunt for our next sailboat over the last 3 years has come to its conclusion. We looked at Cape Dorys, Kittiwakes, SeaSprites, ComPacs, Pearsons among others. All with their special histories. I have to say though, the Folkboat is the one we were the most excited about and now can't wait to her launch. While in good shape, we are looking forward to bringing her back to bristol condition.

Regards all,
iamsville aka Lost Quays
Jfsimes

Inlägg av Jfsimes »

Good afternoon everyone, My name is Jose, I live in Montevideo, Uruguay, and as far as I know there is no IF-Marieholm in the region.
I know this is an old post, but I did not find an answer for the original question yet.
I still do not have an IF-Marieholm but in April 2018 I will travel to Europe with the intention to buy one to bring to Uruguay.
I have a tight budget but I'm sure I'll find one soon.
Does anyone have experience transporting these boats into a 40-Feet Hi Cube Container?
I have seen many Nordic Folkboats shipped but an IF. I guess that the dimensions are not far from each other, but small differences may have a great effect.
May somebody please provide me with the exact high of an IF measured from bottom of the keel to top of irremovable part on deck. The container DOOR HEIGHT is 2.597 m
Thanks in advance. José
Cordial greetings from Montevideo, and good winds.
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

The drawings >>http://www.ifboat.se/klassritningar?vie ... ager&id=27 will give you the answer.

As I can see, the total height will be somewhat 2.35 m. But you have to add some space for the bottom of the cradle. If critical, you may dismount the horisontal hatch and hatch cover at the cabin entrance, which is an easy thing to do.
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Skriv svar