Headliner

English spoken IF-boat forum for all topics.

Moderator: Moderator

uwemu

Headliner

Inlägg av uwemu »

Dear Forum,

the vinyl headliner on my IF (1974) comes off the hull in various locations.
The greenish glue on the hull as well as on the vinyl is still sticky but does not hold anymore.

As far as I can tell it is still in the original "configuration" - has not been redone before.

I was wondering what the experiences on the forum are fixing this:
- Is there any means to avoid taking off the old glue (i.e. re-glueing the vinyl with some other adhesive) ?
I tried a few adhesives at hand on top of the old glue but not with any luck.
- If the glues really needs to be taken off, what is the best way to achieve this (Aceton seems to work, but this would be horrible work even with a mask on) ?
- Any other "magic trick" ???

Uwe
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Re: Headliner

Inlägg av maja »

I suppose you have to remove all old adhesive.

One tip is to use a suitable electric tool, i.e. an angle grinder with a rotating steel brush.

Se also http://ifboat.se/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f ... ring#p4738

"Kvällen terapiarbete bestod av att rensa bort gammalt kontaktlim. Gick över förväntan att köra av med vinkelslip med stålborste på."

which means, according to Google translate:

" Der Abend Therapiearbeit bestand aus alten Kontaktkleber von wegzuräumen . Über den Erwartungen Ging mit einem Winkelschleifer mit Drahtbürste ablaufen . "
Marek, IF-båt SWE-829 "Ingela" från Lagunen i Malmö
Medlem i IF-båtförbundet sedan 1985
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Användarvisningsbild
johan swe-1870
Global moderator
Segelnummer: 1870
Båtnamn: InFinit

Inlägg av johan swe-1870 »

To remove old contact cement is a lot of work, I think, although I never tried it on the boat.

Here are some tips: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/materi ... 43377.html
Johan Winberg, SWE 1870 InFinit
M26 397 Helena

Inlägg av M26 397 Helena »

I have renovate the interior in one IF and one Marieholm 26 which both had the greenish glue. I made as follows:

1) On the bulkhead (side walls) I removed the old vinyl on the hull and just put on new glue on top of the old greenish glue to glue the new vinyl. I used water based contact glue (in Swedish: våtrumslim). When it has dried completely it sticks 100% which means that you cannot remove it without tearing it apart and scrath and grind the remains. I also tried usual solvent based contact glue on some places but found out that a light tone of the greenish colour sipped through the vinyl because of the solvent in the glue so this is not recommended. Anyhow, with a good quality of usual solvent based contact glue the new vinyl also stuck 100% to the wall and was almost impossible to remove, not at all like the old greenish glue where you can just tera it off.

2) On the floor I removed the old glue with alcohol (T-sprit) and mechanical removal with a knife, whereafter I grinded it a bit, painted it with gelcoat and glued the new carpet with usual solvent based contact glue. On the floor it was much easier (although it still was a lot of work) to remove the old greenish glue as the floor is painted with gelcoat which is not the case with the walls.

3) For the roof I just replaced the old masonite boards and glued new vinyl on the new ones with water based contact glue.

In conclusion, contact glue, water based as well as solvent based, sticks perfectly well on top of the old greenish glue when you replace the old vinyl. How it works with the old vinyl that is contaminated with the old greenish glue I have no experience of.

Staffan Troedsson
M26 Helena
Råå
uwemu

Inlägg av uwemu »

Thanks for all the valuable input, this sounds encouraging vs. removing all the glue!

@M26 397 Helena:
As I have already tried the "Pattex" brand contact glue with no success at all I was wondering which brand/type
was the one that worked when you used it on top of the old stuff ?

"Vatrumslim" - (wet rooms glue if I am not mistaken) seems to be something special not common outside Sweden (at least not in Germany).
Do you happen to know what this glue is chemically based on / what might be a substitute ??

Thanks again!
Uwe
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

"Våtrum" corresponds to bathroom or shower room.

I found this ingrediences for one product (Kiilto 2 våtrumslim):

Vinylacetate-etene 10-25 %

Modified starch 2,5-10 %

Urea 1-2,5 %

Water 50-75 %

But it could exist other similar products.

M26 397 Helena can probably answer. As long as you know the manufacturerd or/and brand, you can easliy find out the recepy.
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
M26 397 Helena

Inlägg av M26 397 Helena »

The classical solvent based contact glues that I have used are Bostik A3 and Casco S9. They work on top of the old greenish glue on the hull and new vinyl (but it is not recommended as explained earlier).
The water based contact glue (våtrumslim) that I have used is Cascoflex. A link to the data sheet, wich unfortunately only seems to be available in Swedish, is: http://media-pms2.schoenox.net/casco/do ... e_msds.pdf
This "våtrumslim" is sold, amongst others, by Swedish marine equipment supplier Hjertmans (www.hjertmans.se) and has article number: 4599-12.
As I mentioned before it works great on top of the old greenish glue on the hull and new vinyl. I have never tried it with the old vinyl that is contaminated with the old greenish glue.

Staffan Troedsson
M26 Helena
Råå
Användarvisningsbild
maja

Inlägg av maja »

CascoFlex at Hjertmans:
http://www.hjertmans.se/produkter/batva ... tlim-1-lit
Hjertmans has a web-shop. Maybe you can buy it there and maybe they can send it to you. Phone and ask...
IF-båtägare sedan 1983
Användarvisningsbild
johan swe-1870
Global moderator
Segelnummer: 1870
Båtnamn: InFinit

Inlägg av johan swe-1870 »

I found the Cascoflex safety data sheet in english: http://media-pms2.schoenox.net/casco/do ... n_msds.pdf
Johan Winberg, SWE 1870 InFinit
uwemu

Inlägg av uwemu »

Thank you so much for indicating the exact product you used,
I could even locate a dealer in Germany who carries Cascoflex 3442!

Uwe
uwemu

Inlägg av uwemu »

A little update for those in similar needs:

I used Cascoflex without removing any old glue (neither from the old vinyl nor from the hull), just applied fresh Cascoflex with a paintbrush.
Works just wonderful (even when glueing the vinyl to overhead surfaces) and sticks perfectly.

Regards
Uwe
Skriv svar